Iwanowice Commune office
Iwanowice Włościańskie 99
32-095 Iwanowice, Poland
Phone no. +48 12 388 40 03
Phone/fax no. +48 12 388 40 30
The Commune of Iwanowice is located on the border of the Upland of Miechów and the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland, about 20 kilometres north of Kraków. The roads from Kraków towards Miechów, Wolbrom and Ojców cross the area of the commune.
It is one of the 17 communes of the county of Kraków. Transport to and from Kraków is provided by bus lines and a network of privately-run mini-buses.
The picturesque valley of the river Dłubnia, which flows almost through the centre of the commune, forms a part of the Dłubnia Landscape Park. Forest complexes in the villages of Zagaj and Maszków add variety to the local landscape. Due to the scenic nature, the part of the Dłubnia river valley between Maszków and Iwanowice is referred to as Mały Ojców (in English - Little Ojców, referring to the Ojców National Park).
The first written mention of Iwanowice stems from the 13th century. It is related to the creation of the parish and the construction of the Holy Trinity Church in 1923, which was founded by Prokop, the bishop of Kraków. Between the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the 16th century, Iwanowice belonged to the noble knight family of Pieniążek under the Odrowąż coat of arms. After that period ownership changed - Stanisław Pieniążek had sold the village and the local estates to his stepfather, Piotr Dłuski of the Kotwicz coat of arms. The new heir and his family were proponents of the Reformation. In 1551, Mikołaj Dłuski, belonging to the Polish Brethren (the Minor Reformed Church of Poland), had transformed the parochial Roman catholic church into a Protestant one. In 1624 the church was renovated and consecrated anew. Towards the end of the 17th century the owner of the village was Zbigniew Firlej, who sold the estate of Iwanowice to prince August Aleksander Czartoryski. The new heir had founded the third parochial church, which survives to this day. The festive consecration took place in 1749. The next owner of Iwanowice was prince Stanisław Lubomirski, who married the daughter of August Czartoryski. Izabella Lubomirska inherited the village after his passing. At that time Iwanowice were a rich locality. In 1795, after the third partition of Poland, it came under Austrian rule. In 1817, Iwanowice were the last stop on the route of the funeral procession carrying the remains of prince Józef Poniatowski to the Wawel castle of Kraków.
In 1914, a division of the Polish Military Organisation (Polska Organizacja Wojskowa) was created in Iwanowice; it was trained for armed combat by staff from Kraków.
On November 17th of that same year a battle was fought between Russian and Austrian forces. The village was completely destroyed.
On September 3rd, 1939, German forces entered the village. The German garrison was stationed in the newly constructed school. The Armia Krajowa (Home Army), the Narodowe Siły Zbrojne (National Armed Forces), as well as the Gwardia Ludowa (People's Guard) and the Bataliony Chłopskie (Peasants' Battalions) were all active in Iwanowice. The chaplain of the guerilla fighters was father Tomasz Banach. The underground magazine Odwet (Polish for 'Retaliation') was distributed from the church. The Germans bloodily quelled guerilla activities. The village was massacred three times, and on August 15th, 1944, the nearby locality of Barbarka saw the inhabitants of Iwanowice and Zagaj executed by firing squad (a total of 63 people). The locality was liberated on January 16th, 1945, after a three-hour battle, by the Soviet army.
The commune has an area of approximately 7062 hectares. It is inhabited by ca. 10500 people - including 8500 permanent residents and 2000 without residency. An advantageous location, treasures of nature, a good transport network and closeness to Kraków cause people from that city to settle here. Iwanowice Włościańskie serve as the centre of local administration.
The commune is composed of 23 villages: Biskupice, Celiny, Damice, Domiarki, Grzegorzowice Małe, Grzegorzowice Wielkie, Iwanowice Dworskie, Iwanowice Włościańskie, Krasieniec Stary, Krasieniec Zakupny, Lesieniec, Maszków, Narama, Poskwitów Nowy, Poskwitów Stary, Przestańsko, Sieciechowice, Sułkowice, WIdoma, Władysław, Zagaje, Zalesie, Żerkowice.
The entire commune is equipped with a water supply system, and half of the inhabitants possess a natural gas supply system. A sewage system covers a part of Iwanowice Włościańskie and Iwanowice Dworskie, as well as all of Maszków.
In 2003, the Ecolo Chief sewage treatment plant, financed from the resources of the voivodeship and county environmental protection and water management fund in Kraków, as well as local commune resources, started its operation. Local roads and access roads to fields are constantly upgraded, new pavements, with lighting, are being built - in most recent times in Damice, Widoma (along road E7), Iwanowice Włościańskie and Iwanowice Dworskie (along the commune road), Poskwitów (along voivodeship road 773). Iwanowice Dworskie received a deep groundwater well. The commune is home to seven primary schools, three lower-secondary schools, two preschools and four libraries - local pupils take pride in numerous achievements, and the schools themselves provide a high level of education and undertake numerous initiatives.
The Commune Cultural Centre operates four wind orchestras, two folk music groups and eight folk singing ensembles - which boast high standings achieved in various competitions and festivals taking place county- and voivodeship-wide.
The commune is also home to active volunteer fire fighter units (fifteen in total), including one participating in the national rescue system.
Physical education and sport is promoted by the sports clubs Orzeł Iwanowice, Czarni '03 Grzegorzowice and Strażak Sułkowice. In 2010, the community upgraded and renovated the local football pitch in Biskupice, and in 2011 a complex of sports pitches in Iwanowice Włościańskie was opened (including football, volleyball, handball, basketball pitches and a tennis court).
Healthcare is provided by the non-public healthcare facility in Iwanowice Dworskie, with a branch in Maszków.
From among the large, regular cultural events organised by the commune, the Kraków Dialect Festival is noteworthy. Local events include the harvest feast, the sports day, and commune-wide competitions of the volunteer fire-fighting units.
Głos Iwanowic (The Voice of Iwanowice) is a monthly magazine published without interruption since 1999 - it is a publication of the local residents, informing them about the most important events, social and cultural life, and providing opinions on various subjects.
The Dłubnia and Minożka river valleys of Iwanowice form the most beautiful part of the Dłubnia Landscape Park, and the area between Iwanowice and Maszków, owing to the beauty of its landscape, is often referred to as Mały Ojców (in English - Little Ojców, referring to the Ojców National Park).
Every several metres, the waters of the Dłubnia are fed with abundant, crystal-clear and very cold spring water. The best known springs include the one at the foot of the mountain of St. Roch and another at the hill Winnica. Rich artesian aquifers from the Jurassic period were discovered close to Maszków.
The picturesque Dłubnia river valley, limestone rock formations and forests attract tourists, who enjoy spending their weekends here.
The commune is home to a number of historic structures, as well as natural features of historic importance and interesting archaeological sites. The most interesting of those are:
The historical 18th century building of the former inn is now home to the regional museum. It provides evidence and showcases the history and items of the settlers of the Dłubnia river valley - presently the museum owns more than 400 exhibits, as well as an extensive archive collected over the 20 years of its existence. There are a number if chapels, roadside shrines and crosses preserved in the commune, i. e. the Krzyż z Maszkowa (Cross of Maszków), created by Franciszek Nawara, in front of the museum in Iwanowice.
The commune focuses on development of tourism. Visitors are invited to agrotourism farms (in Żerkowice, Biskupice, Sułkowice), and to ecological farms (in Maszków).
The commune of Iwanowice is an agricultural one. Agriculturally used land totals 6320 hectares, with a forested area of 317 hectares. Soil types include spodosols with alluvial and rendzina soils. The economy is based on agriculture utilising loess soil. Cereal crops (wheat, rye, barley and oats0 are the most important in agricultural manufacture, beside potatoes and mangold (field beet).
Fruit farming and horticulture is developing strongly in the southern part of the commune. Farms specialising in the cultivation of cherries, strawberries, plums and raspberries are increasing in numbers. Among the five hundred companies, the majority are trade and service companies serving the local market. The advantageous location of the commune, close to Kraków, supports the development of entrepreneurship. The local government runs a policy attracting investors and supports founding of economic activity, seeing in this a chance of development of the commune and of improvement of the financial standing of the commune.
The community aims at the development of already existing areas of the local economy, and increasing the number of manufacturing facilities which are not a burden to the environment, foremost related to the processing of agricultural products.
The express route S7 is planned to run through the commune, along with a transport hub. Thus areas for larger-scale economic activity have been planned out along its course.